Avgolemono is a combination of lemon and egg yolk that forms the base of countless sauces and soups in Eastern European and Mediterranean cuisine. While this particular interpretation has its roots in Greek fare, some version of avgolemono is also found in Turkish, Balkan, Jewish, Middle Eastern, and Italian cooking.
The beauty of this soup is that it's silky smooth, rich, filling, and flavorful without any cream or butter. Plus: it's super simple to make. Brown rice cooks in seasoned broth, then marries with egg yolk, lemon juice, and shredded chicken breast. Pair it with fresh greens and crusty bread, and you'll be proud to serve avgolemono soup for dinner.
This recipe is adapted from https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/avgolemono-chicken-soup-rice .
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to tag us on instagram @theprotopantry and use the #protopantry hashtag. Happy cooking!
Avgolemono Soup with Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe
This simple soup with lemon, chicken, and rice is flavorful, bright, and absolutely delicious.
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 4 cups broth or stock (we used chicken broth)
- 2 cups water plus more for poaching chicken
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about a pound)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 large egg yolks
- Freshly squeezed juice of four lemons
- Optional: greens and lemon slices for garnish
- In a large pot, add the rice, broth, and two cups of water. Season the broth with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook the rice at the temperature and for the length specified on the package instructions.
- While the rice cooks, add the chicken to a large sauce pan and cover completely with water. Add a generous dash of salt and pepper, and bring the water to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer the chicken for about 15 minutes, or until 165 degrees Fahrenheit internally.
- Shred the chicken with two forks or in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- When the rice is tender, combine a large ladleful of broth and rice, the egg yolks, and the lemon juice in a blender (you want about a half a cup of rice and a cup of broth in the mixture). Blend until smooth.
- Reduce the heat of the remaining, unblended broth and rice to low. Add the egg yolk mixture and shredded chicken and stir to combine. Allow to barely simmer for about five to ten minutes.
- Serve the finished soup with slices of lemon, greens, and more pepper. Enjoy.
Notes and Nutrition Information
Do not allow the egg mixture to get too hot too quickly. Reheat the soup over very low heat to prevent the egg from scrambling.
This soup is best within 48 hours of preparation. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
For a super-quick version of this dish, use ten-minute rice and rotisserie chicken.
One fourth of this recipe as written contains approximately 391 calories, 10 grams of fat, 38 grams of carbohydrates, 35 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber, 2 grams of sugar, and 874 milligrams of sodium.